For over fifty years, I was a dog person. Cats are too independent for my taste.
If you put a dog and your spouse in the trunk of a car and leave them for one hour, which one is going to be happy to see you when you open the trunk?
That all changed three years ago when I was scanning my Facebook news feed. I stopped scanning when I saw a picture of a cat named “Fergi” from the Pawsibilities Rescue Group that needed a home. She had the bluest eyes I had ever seen. Fergi was eight years old, long hair, and something inside my head told me inquire about her.
Long story short, Fergi came home with me a few days later. She let our dogs know they could sniff her when she said they could. It was like they had been together since birth.
I found these on buzzfeed.com and want to share them with you:
1. Cats rub against people to mark their territory.
2. When a family cat died in ancient Egypt, family members would shave off their eyebrows as they mourned.
3. Black cats are bad luck in the United States, but they are good luck in the United Kingdom and Australia.
4. Cats have scent glands along their tail, their forehead, lips, chin, and the underside of their front paws.
5. Cats lick themselves to get your scent off.
6. A cat can jump up to six times its length.
7. When cats leave their poop uncovered, it is a sign of aggression to let you know they don’t fear you.
8. Cats can change their meow to manipulate a human. They often imitate a human baby when they need food, for example. Editor’s note: I know this one very well!
9. Cats make more than 100 different sounds whereas dogs make around 10.
10. Cats have a longer-term memory than dogs, especially when they learn by actually doing rather than simply seeing.
11. Basically, cats have a lower social IQ than dogs but can solve more difficult cognitive problems when they feel like it.
12. The world’s richest cat is worth $13 million after his human passed away and left her fortune to him.
13. Cats can’t taste sweetness.
14. Owning a cat can reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack by a third.
15. Cats sleep 70% of their lives.
16. A group of cats is called a clowder.
17. A cat has been mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, for 15 years. His name is Stubbs.
18. Cats are often lactose intolerant, so stop givin’ them milk!
19. Raw fish is not good for cats.
20. A cat’s brain is 90% similar to a human’s — more similar than to a dog’s.
21. Cats and humans have nearly identical sections of the brain that control emotion.
22. Abraham Lincoln kept four cats in the White House,
23. When asked if her husband had any hobbies, Mary Todd Lincoln is said to have replied “cats.”
24. A cat has detected his human’s breast cancer.
25. Cats can move their ears 180 degrees.
26. Cats have free-floating clavicle bones that attach their shoulders to their forelimbs, which allows them to squeeze through very small spaces.
27. Most cats don’t like water because their coats do not insulate them well enough.
28. The Egyptian Mau is the oldest breed of cat.
29. Cat owners who are male tend to be luckier in love, as they are perceived as more sensitive.
30. Cat owners are 17% more likely to have a graduate degree.
31. Cats have inferior daytime sight, but during the night they need seven times less light than humans to see.